Was formed around 1946 by ex members of the home guard who wished to continue shooting after the war.
The “XX1” in the club badge is we believe a reference to the 21st County of Lancashire Home Guard Batallion. Some of our old trophies have similar designations engraved on them.
The club range was originally housed in the Drill Hall, Bury and subsequently moved to the Transparent Paper Works, Heap Bridge.
When the Wellington Barracks site was vacated by the army in around 1970, leaving what is now the museum, the memorial gardens and the Fusiliers Club, the playing fields, gymnasium and rifle range were taken over by Bury Council. The gymnasium burned down and Bury Rifle Club leased the range from the council.
Later houses were built on Orpington Drive and Bexley Drive. Club members put in a lot of effort to bring the range up to standard and obtain a safety certificate, the Harry Spencer Beam is a tribute to this. Subsequent improvements have included installation of a concrete floor on the range, a water supply, toilet facilities, improved heating and a new ceiling in the clubroom.
Bury Rifle Club Range Opening 4th August 1971
The range was officially opened by the Mayor of Bury, Councellor J. Skellern (centre) accompanied by Chairman Mr F.J. Heap (left) and Secretary Mr J. Barlow (right).